Soccer O/U markets

bosco

Administrator
Staff member
I have had unexpected deficits on the soccer O/U markets and I am trying to make sense of it.

Often this market swings a lot back and forth for the medium liquidity leagues days before or even at the day of the game, so it seems quite volatile and unpredictable.

I placed a cautious bet on O 2.5 @ 2.8, match Kalev vs Narva on Tuesday, using this sharp as reference see attachment. By the looks of it, the bet was a very good one, since the O 2.5 bet is now averaging at around 1.4. However, I could easily have placed a U 2.5 @ 1.80, had I betted half an hour earlier using the same sharp reference.

I have seen these up and down patterns a lot in the soccer O/U markets, so I am wondering if it is possible to become more knowledgeable about the mecanisms triggering such behaviour. The ultimate purpose of course, is to avoid betting in a market that will swing back or choose the other side to bet. For some reason I am suspecting that it could be some sort of manipulation.

Does anyone have suggestions to why these markets swing so much back and forth?

It is not a question of completely avoiding these markets or waiting to bet until close to game start. It is about understanding the mecanisms that take place.